Anika and Liz don their dress uniforms and stand trial for the crime of … oh, something. Background bird noise and that helicopter, probably. But ALSO we are here to talk about season 2, episode 2 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: “Ad Astra Per Aspera”, including…
- Gene Roddenberry would be SO MAD there’s a civil rights lawyer in Star Trek! Which is not the ONLY reason it’s great, but it’s one!
- Utopias are hard work and civil rights progress via litigation is incremental, and this episode gets that
- This is a Neera Ketou Stan Podcast
- HOWEVER Liz thinks the writing veered into a couple of ugly tropes
- What’s Vice Admiral Pasalk’s deal? Is he a Secret Romulan???
- It would be interesting to dig further into genetic alteration as a cultural practice versus eugenics as a violation of civil rights
- It’s allegories all the way down!
- “Aliens hiding among humans” seems to be a theme this season, but NOT in a paranoid way? Aside from our new hobby of Seeing Romulans Everywhere, of course
- Ortegas has a new facet to her character! She’s racist!